Thursday, November 25, 2010

Persnickety Snark: Thoughts on Negative v. Critical Reviews

34_negative Persnickety Snark: Thoughts on Negative v. Critical Reviews
There is a whole lot of brouhaha about negative reviews throughout the blogosphere at the moment.While the Jawas Read, Too blog fiasco with Andrew Smith and Michael Grant sickened me after eight comments, I wanted to work my care to something more concerning.The confusion regarding negative reviews. I think there is a dispute between negative and critical reviews and find it unfortunate that they are lumped together.

n most cases, less knowledgeable (or dare I say, lacking common sense) individuals tar them both with the 'mean' brush.I am completely unbiased in this scenario.I have frequently been branded harsh or average because I take to place reviews on titles that I find underwhelming on a critical level.While in some cases harsh (but truthful) might be applicable, mean is not. And here's where I stand upon the soapbox.Reviewing is subjective (".particular to a given person; persona") and as such won't please all readers.Rubbishing a novel based strictly on one's emotions without evidence isn't critical and thus isn't a worthwhile review.It is baseless.My alternative to criticize a claim on poor craft or want of emotional heft and connectivity isn't baseless.It isn't negative for negativity`s sake. Many bloggers declare they won't post negative reviews.I see and honour that.if you review critically (introspection about what elements worked well.I have chosen a different route.Though I receive review copies I do not feel obliged, nor wish, to be all my reading material in a positive light when my feelings are to the contrary. Some titles just aren't that well written.Sometimes that is due to a premise heavy/ writing light approach.Sometimes it's due to the word being poorly constructed.Sometimes it is a sound or light editing hand.Regardless, not all books are created equal and perfect. To review something is ".1. To expect over, study, or examine again. 2. To consider retrospectively; look back on. 3. To see with an eye to criticism or correction." There is nothing there about publisher or author responsibility. Receiving a script for review, buying a title, doesn't not automatically equate to finding the positives. Sometimes they are there, sometimes you'll discover yourself looking aimlessly for eternity.Having a book blogger, reviewing titles, means that you want to be reading critically.Whether you understand that as identifying just the positives (or negatives) in a claim is up to you.If you are wise, you'll try to portray both doing a help to those who put time and money into the book. What angers me is when a review blogger writes a baseless review (positive or negative) based only on their emotions."It was awesome because the guy is soooooo hawt" or "I plan on using the pages of this claim to rub my butt the following sentence I see the lavatory" - neither of these show critical thought.They are baseless.Neither do our community justice.Neither do the authors or publishers, editors or publicists, any favours.They reflect badly on the blogger and their power to study and write with thought.To survey is to examine. Conversation has turned on bloggers that review negatively e.g. those that review without critical thinking to bash.Yes, they are awful.Yes, they do our community a disservice.But so do the wild one paragraph glowing reviews that bear no scrutiny at all away of the heat of a fictitious character. If find both to be offensive. We all should be aiming to be critical.While many people are lumping critical in with average or negative, they are wrong.Critical reviewing means you are reviewing well.Critical means you are identifying the positive and/or negative aspects of a title.Critical means you are examining a word based on more than your gut or your motivation to please an author.Critical is "_involving skilful judgment as to truth, merit, etc." In can also intend to try something too severely (of which I can be accused).If you give reasoning, justify your thought with substantial evidence you aren't on the same degree as a slap dash, hate reviewer. It is a note I have found difficult to tread, sometimes losing my balance but something I've improved on with practise. Lastly I would wish to say that disliking a book, providing a well-constructed review on the reasons why, isn`t necessarily being mean.The source might need it personally, it`s their baby after all, but the aim isn`t (generally) to wound the person behind it.The aim is to critical reflect thought on the potency of the storytelling.Reading is subjective.Not everyone will wish the word that you know but that doesn`t mean that they are mean. If there is anything I wished to accomplish by writing this post, it was to ask people to be more thrifty in judgment of critical bloggers as base or negative.A negative review isn`t the sami as a vital one.While they might both see the same script as lacking, their attack is really different.Also, critical does not automatically mean that the survey is seeing a title as lacking.Writing a critical survey of a word you adore is one of the hardest things to do as a reviewer.It is something I admire heartily in bloggers that take to only review books that have experienced positively.It`s hard_but I am happy they keep pushing on. Thank you for winning the sentence to understand this post.Like everything we carry on our blogs it is subjective, drawn from my own experiences so feel free to disagree.

No comments:

Post a Comment