Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Writing From the Tub - My living as a writer in Bath: World AIDS Day .

So now is a bit of a particular day in the blogosphere! The amazing Caroline at Portraiture of a Woman has organized an HIV/AIDS in YA day to agree with World AIDS Day. Bloggers everywhere are reviewing YA books that trade with HIV/AIDS to disseminate awareness.Published: February 24th 2004, Simon & SchusterPages: 212 pages, paperbackAcquired: Sent for inspection by Caroline at Portraiture of a Woman for World AIDS DaySummary (from Goodreads): People don't want to talk around it.

they're scared they might see it.nobody realizes that there are people like Emma out there who hold scarcely had a bit of bad luck from one careless mistake.At fifteen, shy Leyla looks up to her sixteen-year-old cousin, Emma. Beautiful, confident, and pop with boys, Emma seems to deliver it all. But when Emma learns that she's HIV positive after having unprotected sex just once, Leyla must be the firm one. Supporting her cousin through all the changes, even teaching music to kids in Emma's support group, Leyla promises to prevent it all a secret.But when Leyla's gorgeous new boyfriend thinks condoms are optional, and Emma's health begins to decline, Leyla realizes people will never be secure unless they are aware. Will she get the bravery to speak out and have people understand?My review: The Round Goes On is one of a few novels that deals with the effect of teens suffering with HIV and one of even fewer that does it well. The strength of The Shell Goes On is in the realism with which it is written.Minchin gets the teen voices spot on and this is something I actually enjoyed. The negotiation is English done and through and extremely realistic - the girls venturing off to a nightclub even though they`re underage and terrified? Spot on. However, the only drawback is that I`m not 100% sure the bible would go so well overseas so if any international bloggers have read this - do let me know!Leyla is a capital part and while I normally prefer my heroines with a little more edge, her sweetness charmed me and I loved how near she and Emma stayed throughout the story despite everything that was passing on. This is the start time I`ve read The Round Goes On but I guess this is a quran that would actually have affected me if I`d take it as a teen - this is unquestionably a novel I`d advocate to educate teens and younger readers about HIV/AIDS.Going back to the reality I mentioned earlier, the description of Emma`s infection with HIV isn`t overlooked or obscure in any way and Minchin writes with a directness that I actually appreciated. We`re given details of Emma`s infection from start to end and although it isn`t pleasant to say I guess it`s a requirement that helped to establish the quran such a bully story.First line: `I`d been complete at the same walls in the poky box bedroom of our semi-detached house since I emerged into this world kicking and screaming fifteen days ago.`Rating:Plot: 4/5Writing: 4.5/5Characters: 4/5Cover: 3/5Total: 15.5/20 (B)

No comments:

Post a Comment