Thursday, October 14, 2010

Delinquent Eggs: In other news

In other news
The next is leaving to be somewhat outside of the usual range of this blog, but abide with me. Like many of you, I`ve been watching the Chile mine rescue. And though the coverage in the US has occasionally been overly cloying, I`ve felt a wonderful number of joy in watching those miners lifted, one by one, to safety. I say there are a few things that get me about this situation.

There`s the obvious: that 33 men, presumed dead for many days, can survive 2,300 feet below the rise of the world for many years more. The scientific: that the rescue plan could be organised and implemented so quickly, and that it could be so wildly successful as shortly as it was. But almost of all: that 33 men living in such cramped and difficult circumstances could prepare themselves, ration food and water, and do not to miss their minds and/or rend one another limb from limb.Think about it - I`m not certain that I could call three people whose constant presence wouldn`t get me to the boundary of reason. I see myself coming out of the mine at the end of those days drooling, raving, and stressful to eat the tv cameras. In days to do we may learn about some of the arguments, petty squabbles, and beefs that happened in the bowels of the earth. I contemplate airplane travel - by the end of a trans-Atlantic trip (eight-nine hours at most) I can`t expect to get out of that flying tin can and am usually in a province of such annoyance (disgusting food, recycled air, and that kid sitting beside me who clearly doesn`t understand boundaries) that I must repress the motivation to catapult myself over the seats, past other weary travelers and into sweet air. When I imagine 69 days in an enclosed space - among others - my knees go weak. We man are a strange bunch. Brutal, funny, kind, terrible and - above all - navel-gazing. In price of the final, I`m as guilty of that as anyone, especially lately. Fighting this recurrent loss battle has narrowed my opinion of the world drastically. I see it hard to muster interest in my fellow woman and man because I`m locked in a battle that makes me turn most of my energies inward. (I mean, I wish about all of you but am perpetually annoyed by the remainder of the world). I think what I`m saying is this: I`m not always a huge fan of human beings. There are too many examples of how fearful we are. But yesterday was like watching a flesh-and-blood Santa appear in person (and not the inebriated shopping mall kind).Humanity: I`ve heard rumors of your existence. So happy you actually exist.

No comments:

Post a Comment